I want to quit singing

Nothing I do is right. I will never reach my potential. I will never get a job. I don't know what I'm doing. You say I'm sounding better, but I don't hear it. I don't think I can do this. It's too hard. I will never get there. I don't think this is working. This is not what I'm meant to be doing. I've wasted my life. And I'm too old to go back. There's nothing else I'm good at. Why is it that the thing I love most causes me the most grief and pain?
I think I want to quit singing.
Why?
Because it's too difficult.
What else would you do?
There's nothing else I'm good at.
That's not true.
Well, I'm good at organising, teaching, throwing parties, acting.
You want to quit singing and become an ACTOR? That'll be easier...
No, I just don't know anymore. It's not making me happy....And yet it does make me happy.
I come home after a long day of rehearsing and all I want to do is keep singing; I sing Cher; I sing Mariah Carey; I sing along to The Sound of Music. And I'm happy. Nothing makes me happier.
Why do I think opera makes me unhappy?
It doesn't.
It's the idea that I'm not living up to other people's standards that makes me unhappy. And it's the idea that my standards have become what I imagine other people's must be.
In France I told someone that I was feeling unhappy about my singing and she said, "but you can't do anything else, can you?" No I can't. I told her,
"Ç'a toujours été le chant." 
Since I could talk I've been singing. Since I could breath and see and hear and feel it was singing. I will never love anything more and nothing will ever make me as happy as when I sing. When I am without it, I am lost. I want to sleep until it returns.
So why am I upset?
And why can't I sing all the time for others like I would sing for myself? Because I'm worried that they'll see that love? That they'll judge it? That they'll think I'm not as good as I KNOW I am? I should shout that love to the world. I should profess it as surely as I would casually profess that I love chocolate! or I love champagne!
This love is complex and vulnerable and heartbreaking and beautiful.
Why don't I share it with the world?
When a singer has tension and holds in her sound, her jaw and even her whole body actually shakes. The voice wants to be let out. And she will fight to be released.
Get out of her way. She has love too that needs professing.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts