Morning Pages

I love waking up early now. Maybe it's just the summertime talking but getting up and starting to work on my craft immediately really does change my approach. In the first hour or so of the morning, you're very raw. It's like every day you're reborn--no baggage. No drama. Just you and the sounds of the morning. My mind is very open at this time of day and it allows for more patience with myself and more willingness to accept whatever comes to my mind. It's a great time to be writing.

Yes I am doing that now!

I've started this new songwriting technique where I write lyrics first and melody later. This is new for me as I usually prefer to write (or write the bones of the thing) at the same time. But I suppose I know songwriting well enough now that I can confidently write a poem I know will work well as a song; When I'm ready, I'll look at the poem and say, I know you well enough to create a melody that will suit you.

This change in songwriting came around the same time I started to achieve more balance in my life; it was when I started being ok with waking up early to work because I knew if I didn't then I wouldn't have time and therefore wouldn't achieve balance. It also came with the beginning of summer which meant brighter days for longer and more fuel in my engine. Seriously, if you haven't tried waking up early during the summer months, you should. It's glorious.

My parents both do this. (Check out my mom's blog and my dad's blog) They get up and start writing their "morning pages" which is a Julia Cameron-ism (and a great one if you haven't done it!); this means they write down without judgment whatever comes to their heads for 3 whole pages. To a degree, I try to write songs in this way. I mean yes I structure them but it's imperative for me to first get out of the way of the melody and allow it to take its course. A great example is my song Out of the Playground. That song was 100% word vomit that eventually became a great lesson I needed to learn about where I was in my life. And about songwriting too.

I've had many mornings where I didn't feel this positive getting up and I know this isn't reality for everyone. And to those who struggle with mornings, I would say do one thing at a time. And then, keep doing things. Eventually you will get to where you want to be.





Comments

  1. I wish I were better at mornings! If I slept better maybe I would be. The idea of getting up early and enjoying that magical time before much is going on is very appealing. I just can’t seem to do it very often...yet...love this post! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts