Doctor Wtf?

ed. note: Fear not, newbies; This is a spoiler-free zone.

**

I've had multiple discussions lately about whether Doctor Who is going down the tubes a little since Steven Moffat started as head writer 4 years ago. He is changing the structure of the story in that mystery is what drives the show more than anything. I believe that this is less Steven Moffat's doing and more just what TV storytelling has become all around. Shows like True Blood, Breaking Bad and Mad Men are at the top of people's favourites list because they make the audience want to watch more. Every episode creates more questions than it answers. Shows like The X-Files and Star Trek which ran primarily on stand-alone episodes would be lost on today's viewers (non-nerds, I should say!). Even when Arrested Development, a sitcom, came back this year its storytelling structure had drastically changed. It wasn't as wonderful as it used to be, but goddamnit, I kept watching because in every new episode there were so many unanswered questions! That's why Game of Thrones (the novels written in the late 1980s) works so well for TV right now.

The problem is, if the buildup isn't entertaining enough or the reveals not big enough then the discerning fans aren't going to want to stick around. My brother is one of these types. We've had several debates about Moffat this year and we tend to agree to disagree. I am a die-hard fan of Doctor Who and probably always will be. Once I get obsessed with something I keep watching it even if it's not as great as it once was. UNLESS it starts getting ridiculous. Which happens. *cough* X-Files *cough*.

**
Aliens are real... wait no, they're not. But maybe they ARE! Look, a spaceship!

I don't think that DW has gotten to that point. I think that Steve Moffat is a great writer and that he has done some awesome things with the show. I also think that if people don't like this kind of storytelling then they have to either stop watching, or accept that this is the journey the Doctor is on. You can't have it both ways. We're not in control of his journey, Moffat is. I love the Doctor. His character is so loveable and so ridiculous. Until the Doctor stops being himself, until the writing is so bad that I don't recognise my favourite character, I don't think I'll quit liking the show. As long as there are good performers who play him, good chemistry on screen with his companion, and entertaining stand-alone episodes, I don't see what the big deal is. So you don't like the big story-arcs? So what! Manon has one of the lamest storylines ever written. But Massenet and Puccini both set it to music so people keep going to see it.


**these images aren't mine. No infringement intended.

Comments

  1. Interesting observations! I believe you're right on many accounts.

    Unfortunately, none of the Song of Ice and Fire books were actually written in the 80s. Game of Thrones came out in '96!

    On that note, George R. R. Martin (our great-great-uncle?) really understands this what you're discussing. Part of the reason I am continuously interested in his story is that I don't know what will happen next.

    What sets him apart from, say, Moffat, is that he actively sets up tropes that we know and love (renegade hero King-in-the-North! He'll win for sure!) and breaks them apart to taste our bitter tears. This not only keeps total noobs guessing, but also seasoned fantasy buffs. Moffat has some pretty original ideas... but that's not always a good thing.

    George's writing is also excellent, imo, which makes the journey just as exciting as the destination. Truly masterful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok '96, whatever. My point was that the books were written before this fad of TV where no one knows what's happening ever and that now that it's on TV it fits right in.

    Moffat and Martin, not in the same category. As my friend Michelle and I have discussed, Martin is more in the Joss Whedon category. Mostly because Moffat is writing for a family audience, probably. I think my point was that I like most of Moffat's ideas, even if he doesn't always come to the plate where writing is concerned (Name of the Doctor, I agree was a lame ep even though his ideas were solid). All of season 6 I loved! Anyway... And at least with Doctor Who I have characters I can root for who aren't gonna drop like flies haha I can only take so much!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts