Secondary Careers

I'm currently working as a temp, making money where I can. I started doing this in order to have flexibility in my schedule and variety in my non-artistic work. Now, I find myself without many shifts and a lot of free time on my hands. One would think, that's awesome! now you can work on your artistic endeavours. Sure, I do have time to do that. But you know what's not fun? Sitting at home working on your own shit BY YOURSELF for 8-10 hours a day.

The other thing that isn't fun about this is that I have no money. People need money to pay rent and buy food and have experiences. I need it for those things AND I need it to support those pesky aforementioned artistic endeavours. I may have more time to work on them now, but I can't finance them.

I think I've arrived at a crossroads. For so long I thought, I'm young and have plenty of time left and one day I'll achieve something great. This belief has made me think that everything I was doing meant nothing and only the things I would be doing in the future would be worthy "achievements". My life was a string of arduous hours working at a job I didn't enjoy and peppered with big concerts, or a masters' degree here and there. (I'm pretty sure that's the most privileged sentence I could have come up with)

My brother told me that one day he started to think of a joe job as his contribution to the world; even if it didn't look on the surface to be significant, you were contributing to society in your own small way, just like everyone else. We see joe jobs as being shit but I'm pretty sure that's only because they pay so little.

Now that I'm 32, which I still cannot BELIEVE, I'm starting to think I need to make my contribution to society and stop being so fucking selfish. I believe that I have a gift and that sharing it with the world is important. I know that I've touched the lives of many people when I sang at concerts and such; but since I can't do that all the time and make money, I have to find other ways to make an impact.

I also find myself wanting to support those around me. As a married person, I'm part of a team now, and I want to be the kind of person who can be relied on, just as I rely on him. I also find myself wanting to help my friends out when they're in a bad way and having money and stability is important to making that happen. You have to be able to help yourself before you can help others.

I found out recently that a super creative person I know who runs her own company also has a secondary FULL TIME JOB. With a title and a pension and everything. This blew me away and I started thinking, if she can do it, I can do it!

So basically, I'm looking for a real job. I'm going to go for a secondary career. I don't know when I'll get something, or how long it'll be before I change my mind and decide to focus on being creative... but for now I'm going to ride this wave. Who knows? Maybe it'll lead to some significant achievements.

Comments

Popular Posts