Doctor New!

I figured since I am now part of the nerd blogging sphere that I should weigh in on the new Doctor. I had grown very apprehensive before this big announcement because there were so many rumours that included the possibility of the Doctor regenerating into a woman. I am not on board with the woman thing. Would we want Hamlet to be played by a woman? I understand that feminism is important (blah blah) but why does Doctor Who have to be a frontrunner for the cause--why should they actively look for a woman? I think that if open auditions were held for men and women, that the person who performed best, regardless of gender, would win. Race is another issue that was discussed, since the Doctor has never been played by anyone other than a white man. Again, who cares what colour his skin is if he's the best out there.

I'm so pleased that Peter Capaldi is joining the Doctor Who family. The first time I saw Capaldi was in Doctor Who in series four episode "Fires of Pompeii". The second time I saw him was in Children of Earth, Torchwood's third series. I was blown away. His performance was heartbreaking and terrifying. No matter who plays the Doctor, he needs to be one hell of an actor. The Doctor has many sides to him. He's happy; he's sad; he's clever, though sometimes he's a total idiot; he's a hero, but he's also cold-hearted villain.



I'm also really pleased that they didn't pick a young studly dude. Enough with the Timelord/companion sexual tension already! As much as I love Rose and River, I'm getting a little sick of it. Doctor Who isn't supposed to be about the Doctor's love life. It's about adventure! It's about peril! Not about who The Oncoming Storm is shagging this month. Sheesh!

This will probably be one of the worst Christmases for me, (nerdly speaking) because I have to say goodbye to my Doctor, Matt Smith. But I'm so thrilled at the choice for #12 that I actually think I could get through it without too much binge crying.

Comments

Popular Posts