The Learning Teacher

I believe that teachers should always have their students' best interest at heart and that those who don't shouldn't be teaching. I never compare my students to other students, or to professionals in the field or even to their future selves. I compare them to their past selves. I look at the work they're doing and have done. Every student has potential and it's my job to show them that potential and their job to tap into it. But I try not to set standards for my students. Every singer is on their own path and on their own scholastic journey. I'm not trying to interfere with that journey, I am trying to show them the path that's the most well lit, with the nicest foliage.

My own journey as a singer hasn't been an easy one. I am frequently self-detrimental and am prone to periods of depression where my voice is concerned. I wasted two years with a teacher who couldn't make me understand what he wanted and who never push me to my limits. I didn't feel like I had potential. I felt lost. When I changed teachers, I finally started seeing the light. It took a long time and a lot of tears but eventually I felt more like I was back on track.

The only problem now is, I'm about three years older than a lot of singers who are more advanced than me. This is probably the most important lesson: No one's journey is going to be the same as someone else's, and no one's journey is smooth. There will always be setbacks, there will always be bad teachers, and there will always be the every day personal challenges (fear, depression, anxiety).

I am RELIEVED to be where I am now, despite my setback, and I wouldn't trade places with Past Me for anything. Every "bad" experience I had during my early formative years as a singer has made me into a better teacher. I know how hard it is to let go and to believe in yourself and expose your deepest emotions through music. Every day is a challenge. And as I say to every student "Challenges are super fun!". Go find the teacher who understands you; who believes in you; who challenges you. Self-motivation is the hardest part, so start with a little inspiration.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts