A Change Would Do You Good

I find that I learn as much from my students as they do from me. When I explain something about vocal technique, I often reflect on whether I employ this technique in my own life or if I've forgotten. I am challenged to learn more repertoire so that I can be better prepared to teach it. And when I watch my younger students begin new chapters in their lives (usually through school), I can't help but wonder whether it's time to turn the page in my own life.

Three of my students this year are embarking on new adventures: One is finishing high school, one is going off to college (sniff!) and one is switching to a new CEGEP program. This last one actually helped inspire me a lot this last year. When she first came to me she was seeking voice lessons to help her prepare for an audition for an acting program. She had always been interested in acting and had been in a few productions, but had never, until now, sought formal training. We did voice lessons while she prepared her own monologues and sure enough she got into the program.

This student definitely played a role in my decision to finally pursue acting. Why was it too late for me to pursue my other interests? Life isn't set in stone. More and more people are switching careers even at "mid-life", so why couldn't I in my late-twenties? I think about my dad who when life kept handing him lemons, decided to go back to school to expand his other talents. The guy has like 3 masters degrees. And now it's paying off.

My student and I have since talked about how it's important that an artist's goal be self-improvement. This may go without saying for an orchestral musician who spends hours a day practicing his or her instrument. But for someone who likes musical theatre (as my student does), one must practice music, theatre and dance in order to progress in the business.

 My student says not only will she continue voice lessons but she has started a dance class in order to improve the way she moves her body on stage. For someone so young, she is incredible self-motivated. I feel now like I have wasted many years of my life under the impression that I could only be interested in one thing. When I was in high school, I wrote songs, poetry, short stories, played guitar, made recordings, even occasionally drew. While I studied classical music, I pretty much stopped all the other things I used to do.

I think I'm finally passed the age where I expect things to be handed to me. I can have all the long-term goals I want, but, without short-term ones to pave the road, how can I expect to achieve them? This year I will learn more about acting; I will take a dance class (something I've never done!); I will continue to do yoga every day so that I can feel more grounded and focused (not to mention, in shape!); I will continue to write, even if it's only on my blog :). Who cares if this year I'll throw myself into a bit of debt. We are living on a hunk of rock hurdling around a star at 67,000 miles an hour. And one day it'll burn. So while I'm here, I may as well shine.



Comments

Popular Posts