My body is my instrument. It's also the vessel of my awesomeness.

One of the things I've always remarked about humans is that, no matter how much we protest that we're not like the other animals on earth, in one way we absolutely are: We learn things the hard way. Even if your mother tells you a million times "Look both ways before you cross the street", it's not until you have that first brush with death that you think, "Ohhh THAT'S why!".

I remember several years ago talking to my very talented soprano friend Irina Marinas about how she had just started going to the gym. She was remarking at how much of a difference she found it made on her singing. I listened and nodded and expressed interest, but did I take the underlying advice? Apparently not, because not only did I NOT join the gym right away, it was another 5 years before I actually started doing physical exercise on a regular basis.

A common phrase among opera singers is "My body is my instrument". It means that before I leave the house for a gig, all I have to remember is to put clothes on. It also means that I should drink tea all the time, keep hydrated, not cough ever, not yell ever, not go to bars, not smoke cigarettes*, not drink alcohol and have literally no life ever. **

Um, no.

For the love of God, have a life. But also, KNOW YOUR BODY. I realised about 2 years ago that I needed to get in some kind of shape. I'm not the kind of person who is going to be motivated to go to the gym all the time; So I decided on cardio work-outs that I can do at home. I had also done many years of yoga which helped me know how to balance my body during work outs and how to keep breathing through it all. Now I can go out with friends and have a drink, go to bed, wake up and eat a healthy breakfast, do my work out and go practice.

Working out not only generally makes you happier and healthier, it also increases your ability to support your sound like nothing else. No amount of singing lessons will help you if you don't have a solid core to support you.

Here's my work-out routine:

Get up, drink water, eat small breakfast and drink coffee
Workout:
Hip Hop ABS: Abs, buns thighs workout (cuz I'm just cool like that)
Pilates abs workout

After a nice shower, it's practice time!! And before you know it, it's time for second breakfast (and yes, a nice soothing tea).

Your body is your instrument. It's also the vessel of your awesomeness. My work-out takes a half an hour and I do it every two days. If you can't wake up a half-hour earlier every two days to ensure that you're going to feel better about life and sing better and be more awesome, then you have real problems, my friend. REAL problems.

But like I said, humans learn the hard way. SO GET OFF YOUR ASS.

*No but actually, smoking is bad.
**everyone is different. Some people cannot drink alcohol or go out with friends and then sing the next day. Know yourself. And love yourself :)

Comments

  1. My mind is my instrument!

    Oh yeah. Acting. Hmm...

    I keep telling myself I need to do more yoga all the time. Do I? Sometimes. Not usually. I should go this week-end.

    Cool stuff tho Lhiadan :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts